Augustus "Owsley" Stanley III, 1967.
























“Before Acid, my neck was so strong from carrying the concrete and bars that made up my skull and with the drug coursing through me the concrete chipped off and WOW, I could see and hear and feel so much. Just a reflection of pre-acid American culture chipping off; one chip for repression, another chip for anxiety, another chip for ignorance, another chip floating away carrying my image of short hair, plaid shorts, tennis shoes and high ankle socks. What remains is the sculpture revealed, the New Age of liberation and caring so deeply that it was impossible to remain hidden in classrooms of agonizing dogma. Take to the streets. Let Love be heard. Let Love be seen. Let Love be felt.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/arts/music/from-owsleys-60s-to-today-a-long-strange-intergenerational-trip.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha28